Capturing genuine smiles during your photo session does not have to be a difficult undertaking! Read on to find out my tried and true strategies to make the most out of your photo sessions and get those natural, genuine smiles you will cherish forever!
Let’s face it – children can be so unpredictable! They can be so adorable and easy going and laughing uncontrollably one minute, and the next minute, turn that charm off completely. They will typically smile for you all day long until you put them in front of a camera. Then, they freeze up like a deer in headlights! Am I right?!
Here are some tried and true strategies for our session:
- Make a list of things that your child thinks are funny and send it to me prior to the session. This way, I can be prepared and add these things into my bag of tricks.
- Tell me a bit about your family such as the kinds of shows they watch, music they listen to, favorite story, hobbies, etc. This will give us something to talk about and will help them forget they are in front of the camera.
- Please, oh please, avoid the phrase “Say cheese!” unless that really works for your child. Overall, putting the pressure on usually never works and mostly backfires. Read about ideas for a stress-free photo session here. I am happy to create this experience for your family.
- Try out a couple of jokes with them at home. During the session, we can ask your child to tell me a joke. This will help ease any nerves. Read some jokes here!
- If there is a song that your child loves, have it ready on your phone and bring it along with you. I can also have songs ready if you send me a list.
- Have a bribe ready, and show it to them or remind them of it during the session. Yes, I know bribery goes against all child development advice, but save it for times like these!
I use at least one of these six strategies during my sessions, and ALWAYS get cute, genuine smiles. I have a Master’s Degree in Education, have three children of my own, and over 10 years experience professionally working with children. (More about me here.) You can say I speak the language of children! My goal is to have a fun, stress-free photo session while naturally capturing your family!