Is this you? You have beautiful family photos displayed on your walls, and you get the best compliments for them. However, all you can remember is the blood, sweat, tears, and STRESS that went into capturing that beautiful image. It doesn’t have to be that way! Take a deep breath, relax and be prepared all at the same time. Follow my tips for a stress-free photo session to ensure a fun and memorable time!
- Weeks before the session, find the outfits you want everyone to wear in advance and set them aside somewhere safe. If you’re not sure what to wear, don’t hesitate to ask your photographer. We have experience know what photographs well.
- Clean and press outfits to be ready for the big day. Tell everyone that these are picture clothes and not to be worn until picture day. This will ensure that no articles of clothing go missing.
- Also, plan and set aside shoes, jewelry, belts, and other accessories.
- On the day of the session, have your family dress AFTER they have eaten and brushed their teeth. Also, have family members wear a bib or drop cloth if they drink anything on the way to the session to save their shirts from wet spots or stains.
- Book a session time that works best for your family for a stress-free photo session. For example, Golden Hour (an hour before sunset) is a photographer favorite for lighting perfection, but if you have a toddler, this time may not work for them. Have a discussion with your photographer about the best times for your family’s needs. The photographer may suggest a better lighting location for different times of day.
- Book a session time of year that works best for your family. Families enjoy photo sessions when feeling relaxed and not feeling rushed to get from one activity to another.
- For peak time of years, (fall and holiday minis), make sure you book months in advance. Your favorite photographer will book up FAST!
- A few days before the session, start talking with your spouse and kids about the session. Let them know what will happen and how they should behave. If you plan to use a bribe, set that in place.
- If you have set a bribe, please let your photographer know so they can use that throughout the session if the children get restless.
- Let kids be kids! If you have children of any age, know that they will most likely act silly and run around. Your photographer knows this, and will strategically plan for this. Let your photographer know about any special requests ahead of time so that they can capture those images first. Then, let your photographer capture your family the way they are. Genuine smiles make the best photographs!
Once you get to the session, try to relax and have fun. You planned this wonderful moment with your family and now just enjoy and make memories. Trust in your photographer – they will take care of things and will deliver amazing photos to you and your family.
Do you want more tips? Do you want to hear about upcoming promotions? Connect with me below: